Illegal gas jobs put families at risk

The vast majority of work carried out by unregistered gas engineers is dangerous and much could be fatal.

A shocking survey of 690 gas appliances that were serviced or fitted by unqualified workmen found that 93% were potentially unsafe and 19% were ruled immediately dangerous, posing a risk of leaking deadly carbon monoxide.

Yet 12 per cent of UK homeowners have admitted that they would use an unregistered gas engineer or friend in order to save money, according to the figures released today at the start of Gas Safety Week.

The survey was carried out by Gas Safe Register, the government-approved registration scheme for gas engineers.

“It is vital that only a Gas Safe registered engineer fixes, fits and services your gas appliances,” said former chief executive Paul Johnston.

“Homeowners should arrange a gas safety check and service each year by
a registered engineer.

“For those people renting homes, they should ensure they have seen a current Gas Safety Record from their landlord, which is a legal requirement.”

In the past year there have been 50 deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning, 16 of them being attributed to faulty gas appliances.

Using unregistered workmen could not only be fatal, it could prove expensive. Figures from Gas Safe Register show that poor workmanship by unqualified engineers typically results in an extra 25% cost when the defects need to be rectified.

You can find a registered engineer at or call 0800 408 5500.


Does my gas appliance need servicing?

Gas appliances should be serviced regularly but if you notice any of the warning signs below you should arrange for a Gas Safe registered engineer to service your appliance as soon as possible if:

  • Your appliance is burning with a lazy yellow flame instead of a crisp blue flame
  • You can see black marks or stains on or around  your gas appliances
  • The pilot light keeps going out
  • There is increased condensation in the room
  • The is an unidentified smell
  • Your gas appliance of heating system is noisy or noisier than normal
  • You do not feel you are getting as much heat from the gas appliance or heating as you used to
  • You have any other concerns

Call Samsian Ltd on 01732 885 882 today for more information or to book a service engineer.

Sludge in your central heating system?

Unconvinced that sludge is building up in your central heating system?

Samsian Ltd were asked to fit a MagnaClean Professional to a 10 year old central heating system in January 2012 when they carried out a small repair. In June of that year, the boiler service was completed and the new Magnaclean checked.

The photo below shows just how much thick oily sludge has built up in just 6 months.


MagnaClean Professional works continually by just using a powerful magnet to collect iron oxide based sludge that can occour naturally in your heating system. Without management, over time this thick oily sludge will increase & eventually clog the boiler, radiators, pipework, pump and other components.

Even a small build-up of iron oxide and non-magnetic deposits in a standard or modern efficiency boiler results in substantial efficiency loss and fuel wastage. So, not only does the system perform inadequately, it also costs more to run and maintain.

MagnaClean Professional is a proven, high efficiency, full-flow, magnetic and non-magnetic filter designed to tackle all central heating systems removing virtually 100% of suspended magnetic debris.

Ask Samsian Ltd for a quote to fit a Magnaclean when you book your next gas boiler service.

Samsian Ltd helps our armed forces

Samsian Ltd, recently teamed up with Piper Assessment to provide army personnel from the Royal Engineers with gas training.


Samsian’s role in this unique project was to support the classroom & theory input given by Piper Assessment by placing army personnel with a qualified gas engineer to allow practical hands on training.  This unique partnership prepared the placement for their ACS assessments in several different elements including CCN1 CEN1 WAT1 & HTR1. These new skills can be used by the Royal Engineers worldwide whilst on active duty as well as in civilian life at the end of their service if they chose.

Managing Director Danny Tickner said “I am so pleased for us to have been given the opportunity to take part in this project as I have the utmost respect for our armed forces. They have a very dangerous & difficult job to do and anything we at Samsian Ltd can do to support them is worthwhile. In Britain, our level of gas safety is impeccable & in my opinion we are a world leader. This project will allow our Royal Engineers to deliver gas safety skills all over the world” 

Andy servicing

Danny went on to say “this year’s placement Andy was polite, confident & had a keen interest to learn as much as he could in the time he was with us & if he chose a career in the gas industry, this man would be a real asset & we’d snap him up if we could”

At the end of the placement, Royal Engineer Andy Stephens was asked for feedback on the practical training he received, and whether he found it enjoyable & worthwhile.

“Yes, the training I received was great. The engineer that I was with knew his stuff & allowed me to get hands on training at every opportunity. We worked on both domestic and commercial gas boilers, water heaters & fires, carrying out repairs as well as servicing. I picked up lots of handy tips too, the sort of things that you cant learn from reading a book! I completed an extensive portfolio too, which I can use for reference in the future“

Andy subsequently passed his ACS assessments with flying colours.

‘Well done Andy’

If you would like more information on central heating repairs or installation, use our contact form or call 01732 885882.

Vaillant boiler problem?

Are you having problems with your Vaillant Gas Boiler?


Samsian Ltd install Vaillant boilers & repair all models from Thermocompact VUW to the latest ecoTEC models.

If you need a Vaillant Advance boiler specialist, call Samsian Ltd today on 01732 885882 or use our contact form.

What is gas safety week 16th – 22nd September?

Gas Safety Week, coordinated by Gas Safe Register, will once again see the gas industry and consumer organisations come together to promote gas safety.

Gas Safety Week 2013
Gas Safety Week 2013

Every year thousands of people across the UK are diagnosed with carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, which can be caused by unsafe central heating systems, gas cookers or gas fires. Gas Safety Week which takes place from 16th – 22nd September 2013 aims to raise awareness of gas safety and the importance of taking care of your gas appliances.

Badly fitted and poorly serviced appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions as well as carbon monoxide poisoning. Using an illegal gas fitter can put lives at risk, only a Gas Safe registered engineer should carry out gas work.

Follow these tips to keep you and your family SAFE:

  • make sure gas appliances have a regular service and a gas safety check every 12 months
  • install an audible carbon monoxide alarm
  • look out for warning signs that your gas appliances aren’t working correctly e.g. lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room
  • make sure only a Gas Safe registered engineer works on your gas appliances. Illegal gas fitters can put your life at risk. Always check the engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card

Gas Safety Week will see events and national advertising taking place. Find out what’s going on during the week and if there’s an event in your area.

If you would like more information on gas safety or central heating & gas appliance installation or repair in general, call Samsian Ltd 01732 885882.