The vast majority of work carried out by unregistered gas engineers is dangerous and much could be fatal.
A shocking survey of 690 gas appliances that were serviced or fitted by unqualified workmen found that 93% were potentially unsafe and 19% were ruled immediately dangerous, posing a risk of leaking deadly carbon monoxide.
Yet 12 per cent of UK homeowners have admitted that they would use an unregistered gas engineer or friend in order to save money, according to the figures released today at the start of Gas Safety Week.
The survey was carried out by Gas Safe Register, the government-approved registration scheme for gas engineers.
“It is vital that only a Gas Safe registered engineer fixes, fits and services your gas appliances,” said former chief executive Paul Johnston.
“Homeowners should arrange a gas safety check and service each year by
a registered engineer.
“For those people renting homes, they should ensure they have seen a current Gas Safety Record from their landlord, which is a legal requirement.”
In the past year there have been 50 deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning, 16 of them being attributed to faulty gas appliances.
Using unregistered workmen could not only be fatal, it could prove expensive. Figures from Gas Safe Register show that poor workmanship by unqualified engineers typically results in an extra 25% cost when the defects need to be rectified.
You can find a registered engineer at www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500.